September 17, 2010 by admncc
So let me set this up for you. A woman (Stephanie Van Groll) is nearly choked to death by her boyfriend. The boyfriend is arrested and put on trial. The Prosecutor is Calumet County District Attorney Kenneth Kratz. What is Kratz’s job? Well, it’s to convict the scumbag boyfriend for the crime.
What does Kratz do instead? He starts ‘sexting’ the abuse victim. Van Groll told Kaukana, Wisconsin police that she received 30 messages over three days from Attorney Kratz. Here’s what some of them said:
- “It was nice talking with you! Feel free to text me (between 8 and 4) if you are bored. You have such potential See ya. KEN (your favorite DA).
- I wish you weren’t one of this offices clients. You’d be a cool person to know!
- Please keep in touch. Its maybe not the wisest thing I can do, but you are awfully sweet. Just don’t tell anyone, ok?
- I know this is wrong. I am such an honest guy, and straight shooter … but I have to know more about you. Does that make sense to you? I bet you get this a lot!
- Are you the kind of girl that likes secret contact with an older married elected DA … the riskier the better? Or do you want to stop right now before any issues?
- I need direction from you. Yes you are a risk taker and can keep your mouth shut and you think this is fun … or you think a man twice your age is creepy so stop.
- Ok. No problem. Either way I think you are very nice. I am very smart, but know this is ALL up to you and really does depend how close to the edge you live!
- Remember it would have to be special enough to risk all.
- If you are not worth that kind of passion, we’ll know it right away. For now I’m just suggesting we find out. Its either perfect or I’m not going to do it!
- Hey … Miss Communication, what’s the sticking point? Your low self-esteem and you fear you can’t play in my big sandbox? Or???
- I’m leaving for the day. Let me know after 8 tomorrow. You will either be excited or grossed out about the opportunity you have. But it will only come once!
- Are you serious? Ok? That’s it? Are you in a board meeting? You are beautiful and would make a great young partner someday. But I won’t beg!
- I’m serious! I’m the atty. I have the $350,000 house. I have the 6-figure career. You may be the tall, young, hot nymph but I am the prize!
- I would not expect you to be the other woman. I would want you to be so hot and treat me so well that you’d be THE woman! R U that good?”
So…the prosecuting attorney calls the victim a “tall, young, hot nymph.” Wow! Kratz’s response to all of this was, “This is a non-news story. I’m worried about it because of my reputational interests. I’m worried about it because of my 25 years as a prosecutor.” I think he should be worried about it because he’s married. You can read MSNBC’s story here and The Associated Press’ story here. I don’t know about you, but Kratz gets my vote for our “Moron of the Week Award.”