Parental Musings

July 14, 2010 by admncc

I had lunch with an expectant mother yesterday.  And I told her the same thing that I tell all new parents – it’s amazing the different things you’ll notice when you become a parent.  It’s true.

And smokers are just one example.  Anyone who has ever read this blog knows that I’m not a big fan of smoking.  My mother smoked while she was pregnant with me.  As a result, I was born two months early and have despised smoking since I was old enough to know what happened.

But going back to my original thought, after having our daughter, I began to get upset when I’d be driving and would see an adult smoking while they had a child (or even a child in a car seat) in the car.  Now, I know some people will read this and say that (when I see that stuff) it’s none of my business.  But when an innocent child or a baby (who can’t even speak yet) is subjected to second-hand smoke, maybe I’m making it my business.

The-below picture outlines the ingredients in cigarettes.  It makes them sound pretty harmful, doesn’t it?

cigarette-composition
Picture courtesy of QuitSmoking Website

Based on my own personal birth situation, obviously one thing that upsets me is pregnant woman smoking.  I see it all the time and just shake my head.  But I’m not the only one who thinks this.  One of the best examples of someone receiving public backlash over smoking while pregnant is the story of Mellisa Williamson from Roanoke, VA.  The below-famous picture shows Williamson smoking while The Roanoke Times story has the byline of “Mellisa Williamson, 35, a Bullitt Avenue resident, worries about the effect on her unborn child from the sound of jackhammers.”  This lady got smeared afterwards.  It made the news, it made Jay Leno, it made Howard Stern, people were posting her phone number and address on the Internet, etc.  And maybe the ridiculing occurred rightfully so; as she clearly embarrassed herself.

mellissa-williamson-2
Picture courtesy of The Roanoke Times and The GinBlog

My mother once told me that she didn’t want to quit smoking.  I agree that someone can’t be forced to quit.  So if you’re a smoker, nobody is throwing rocks at you here.  All I’m saying is that when children are involved, I think people need to have more common sense.  See below for case and point.

pregnant-mom
Picture courtesy of The GinBlog

All Posts / Family/Lifestyle / General Moaning / Medicine / Parenting Children's Health and Safety / Cigarettes / Expectant Mothers / Howard Stern / Jay Leno / Mellisa Williamson / Roanoke / Second-Hand Smoke / Smoking / Smoking While Pregnant / The GinBlog / The Roanoke Times / VA /

Comments

Thanks also to Sugar for the link to the Mellisa Williamson picture.

2. Debbie says:

Wait! I will gladly throw rocks! Big heavy ones. Someone has to stand up for the unborn if its own mother won’t. Pregnant + smoking = child endangerment. If pregnant mom was doing crack/heroin/etc. there would be legal ramifications. Booze and cigarettes are OK though in the eyes of the law. I believe in Massachusetts it is illegal for an adult to smoke in a car when a minor is present. Not sure about other states. Pretty hard law to enforce, but intentions are good. Throwing rocks is easier and more effective, though.

3. Jen says:

It’s so sad to start helpless infants out in the world with a nicotine addiction. I just don’t know how you can feel that baby kick and not want to sacrifice everything for their well being! And really, not smoking isn’t a great sacrifice when it concerns your baby’s health. 🙁

Morons!

Smoking/drinking while pregnant is insane, but far more children are murdered because of abortions. Other than that, unless a person is smoking in your house, it’s still a free country and you should have the right to smoke as you please.

6. It’s sad to see a pregnant woman smoking, drinking, or doing anything to endanger the child but the definition of “endanger” varies. Although I don’t smoke, and I wouldn’t drink or go sky diving while I was pregnant, I certainly wouldn’t want someone to tell me what I can and can’t do as a woman….period.

Just Don’t Do It.

If you knew that drinking toilet cleaner would kill you, would you drink it? If you knew that breathing in propane would cause major harm, would you do it? They why after knowing all the things that smoking is linked to do we still have people that do?

Don’t even get me started about the K2 synthetic marijuana issues that I read about the other day.

8. Titfortat says:

it’s still a free country and you should have the right to smoke as you please.(Don)

Your country aint free, youve got limited choice. Hopefully soon, smoking wont be one of them.

Revolution is coming, Titfortat…

Looks like Britney, dude. Haha!

11. BillyJoeJimBob says:

ReformingGeek, I hate to have to tell you this. But if a woman is smoking while pregnant, the comments will come whether solicited or not.

12. Angelica says:

My mother was a teen mother and smoked while she was pregnant with me. I turned out fine, but I understand why it makes you angry.

I’m an emotional person so seeing people like this with their children is gross. My mom at least tried (and still does try) to make sure secondhand smoke doesn’t get to me; but, for my entire life she smoked in the house and in the car and at restaurants (when it was allowed) so I very well could’ve had something bad happen to me.

It’s a little silly that people think that because your parents smoked around you all of your life, you will eventually become a smoker. My brother is a smoker but he’s also a drug dealer (like daddy! YAY!) and he’s in for a world of hurt!

The best thing you can do for YOUR kids is teach them the right from the wrong, educate them on how bad smoking is, how dangerous texting while driving is, how bad it is for them to drink underage and all of life’s dangers. You know?

Good parents will ALWAYS shine through.

(I think it’s uncalled for to smear a woman who was smoking while pregnant. Being offended is one thing, but actually posting her PERSONAL information and hounding her — that’s a bit much. People need to get a grasp on reality.)

13. Mama2girls says:

Smoking while pregnant or around children is never okay. And Angelica, you may think you are okay now, but you will never really know the consequences of your mother’s choice. I grew up in a household with a smoker and it wasn’t until I was an adult and realized that what looked like urine on the wall in the bathroom after a shower was really the nicotine seeping back out. If it can do that to paint, I don’t want to know what it can do to a person. I didn’t realize that the ear infections I had as a kid were probably in relationship to second-hand smoking and even now as a mother, I wonder what effects it had on me and the issues I had with infertility (something I would never have thought I’d have an issue with). So I wish you the best for a healthy lifestyle. And I agree, posting her personal details is uncalled for.