Shame on the Academy

March 10, 2010 by admncc

Was I the only one who noticed that Farrah Fawcett was missing from the “In Memoriam” portion during Sunday’s Academy Awards?  The only reason it occurred to me at the time was because I remembered that she died on the same day as Michael Jackson – who was included in the Oscars’ tribute.  Now, even if you didn’t see the show, I wonder what your opinion is.

TMZ picked up on this right away and ran two articles.  The first one noted that a representative for the Academy said, “Every year it’s an unfortunate reality that we can’t include everybody.”  The second one had the Academy insinuating that Farrah was more famous for her “remarkable television work” – even though she appeared in several very popular movies.

So, let me get this straight – they skip Farrah (and Bea Arthur as I later found out), but include Michael Jackson (not a movie star) and a several other people who 99% of us wouldn’t recognize (i.e. cinematographers, producers, etc.).  If the Academy is going to defend mentioning Michael Jackson since he was a household name, I would think Farrah should have also made the cut.  My guess – typical Hollywood BS…

All Posts / Celebrities / Entertainment / General Moaning Bea Arthur / Celebrity Gossip / Farah Fawcett / Hollywood / In Memoriam / Michael Jackson / Movies and Television / Oscars / Politics in Hollywood / The Academy Awards / TMZ /

Comments

1. C. Princess says:

Her death was over shadowed by Michael Jackson’s death and now this. A very lame excuse from the Academy. When I think of MJ the first thing that doesn’t come to mind is his movies but his music. At least she was remembered at The Golden Globes.

2. Timmy says:

I think that the idiots in Hollywood should also refrain from making the In Memoriam portion of the Academy Awards into a disrespectful applause popularity contest. Every year it is worse and worse. Either applaud for everyone or noone. Can’t they just make an announcement before the segment for the dumbass audience to hold their applause until the segment is over. It is disrespectful and rude to the memory of those being honored by silence after the thunderous applause that follows the tribute to the tremendous acting genius of Michael “Pedo” Jackson!

I was extremely impressed with the lack of political talk this year. Usually, they just sound like morons.

4. MajorLeague09 says:

I agree with the CC. Why was Michael Jackson even shown? I read the article that said they have over 100 people that have past away and it is hard to choose the ones they will show, but you would think that they would at least show people associated with the movies. I do understand why they include the producers,writers,directors etc. If it weren’t for them, some of the classic movies would have never been made, and the actors/actresses wouldn’t be famous if the movies we’re made. All the people have contributed and they should be remembered even if they were never on the “big screen”.

5. Alexandra says:

Hi!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today 🙂
    I agree with you, but to tell you the truth I wouldn’t have noticed they missed that if I had watched the Academy Awards.
    I guess her death didn’t have the general impact MJ’s death had…
    That being said, it’s still nasty what they did. Holywood BS as you said.

6. Dick says:

I thought that overall the Oscars was a better show than it has been, didn’t notice the omission of Farah but yeah, that is pretty bad to mention MJ and not Farah but there is a lot of politics in the Academy so who knows maybe she didn’t b**w the right person when she had the chance.

The show has been better the last few years. They cut out a lot of the crap. Martin and Baldwin did a good job. And forgetting Farrah is inexcusable.

8. rachael says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I agree with that it is BS. It sounds like someone doesn’t want to admit a mistake. It’s so much easier to apologize and move on. Pride harms us all.

Rachael
    itssimplelove.blogspot.com

I don’t follow Hollywood crap like the rest of the world, perhaps because I have a difficult time enough remembering what I was supposed to pick up at the store let alone who was in what movie 10 years ago, but even I know that Farrah was very important in her roles, as well as an Icon in her own right. MJ is an Icon as well, but didn’t he already get his dues at the music awards that were on earlier?

Welcome to Alexandra and Rachel and thank you for your comments. I hope you’ll join us more regularly.