I’m Back

October 14, 2009 by admncc

Opps, we didn’t do it again.  I’m sorry to use part of that lame Britney Spears‘ quote, but in this case it was necessary.  I was fully prepared to announce this morning that we had defended our title, that The Constant Complainer had won and that we were again recognized as the “Best Local Blog” in Cleveland – an award we won from readers of the Cleveland Scene last year.  Part of me was also prepared to call out a weaker blog, if they had won, or if I felt they had stuffed the ballot box.  But in this case, I actually need to tip my hat.  Congratulations to “Waiting For Next Year” for winning “Best Local Blog” and dethroning us.  They are a powerhouse blog and judging by their content, comments, visitors and advertising, this is a well deserved award.  Frankly, I like their blog and now plan to follow it too.  BTW, you can view the 2008 contest winners here and the 2009 winners here

Thank you for many of the e-mails inquiring in to my MIA status.  I threw my back out and was offline for a few days.  I couldn’t do much more than just lay around.  The good news is that in my absence, the complaints have built up.  So with that being said, let’s have some fun.

I have a number of concerns with the news story involving Zachary Christie.  He is the six-year-old who made national headlines after bringing a “Swiss Army-type” knife to school.  He was immediately suspended for five days.  Then he was ordered to spend 45 days at a reform school.  The harsh punishment was due to the school district’s zero tolerance policy.  Apparently, the reason he brought the knife to school was because he used it to eat all of his meals at home.  The school board then changed their decision to a (more lenient) punishment of a three to five-day suspension.  Personally, I don’t think he should have brought the knife to school.  I can understand why he did, but the parents needed to be more aware of the situation.  But I also strongly believe that the school needs to handle situations like this on a case-by-case basis, for exactly the reasons I mentioned – there didn’t seem to be a malicious intent to harm anyone with the weapon.  I’m not sure I favor across-the-board punishments in instances like this.

Speaking of our “Moron of the Week Award” – here’s a nomination.  The video clip is called “Homemade Gunpowder” and you can view it here.  It is one minute long, but the memories will last a lifetime.  All I can say is, “Wow.”

Finally, check out the below-picture that I took today.  This decal was on the back of a commercial vehicle.  I guess they’ll get some free publicity out of this.  However, I don’t know about you, but I’d have a hard time eating anywhere that references road kill.  But hey, good luck to them and their business – I think…

road-kill-sign

P.S.  Nip Tuck is back on FX.  Wahoo.

All Posts / Business / Entertainment / Family/Lifestyle / General Moaning / Law and Order / Parenting / Schools Back Injury / Best Of / Blog Awards / Blogging / Britney Spears / Cleveland / Cleveland Scene / FX / Grill / Gunpowder / Halloween / Moron of the Week / Moron of the Week Award / Morons / Nip Tuck / OH / Road Kill / Stupid People / Waiting For Next Year / Zachary Christie /

Comments

1. Deb says:

The Moron of the Week nominee is perfect. I can see a naive kid doing that, but when your mother is your sister I guess the synapses just don’t fire like they should.

Welcome back!

2. Scott @ WFNY says:

Thanks for the kind words over at our spot. You’ve been added to my RSS – keep in touch.

Scott @ WFNY

Obviously, a no tolerance policy with middle and high school aged children is a good idea. This kid certainly doesn’t understand that his fork, spoon, knife is a bad thing in certain places, even if he had no intent to harm anyone. The school addressed it correctly at first, but really failed as it went on.

Shame on the parents for this, they are responsible for the child and need to let him know what he can and cannot take to school. A suspension and reform school is absurd.

4. I think the five day suspension is about right. It sends more of a message to the parent(s) than the kid, who is probably happy to stay home. Hope you are feeling better!

5. Ok, that moron of the week video scared the shit out of me! I’m not sure how that could be faked, but if it was he did a damn good job.

As far as Zachary goes, I have a problem with the 45 day reform school sentence. The only reason they backed down from that is because the Today show and others got on the band wagon.

Though I agree that weapons have no place in school, the punishment needs to suit the crime. He used this spoon, knife, and fork to eat, and that is why he brought it. If you look at it, it’s not really a weapon so much as utensils ( http://www.c1k.com/images/victorinox/54000opn.jpg )Something should have been done, but as a parent to 3 boys, I can see how something like this could be slipped to school unknowingly. My kids have a comb that flips out like a switchblade and I’m always reminding them that it can’t go to school or they’d be in the same boat.

But, the thing about kids is, they have a short memory. Sending a 6 year old to reform school for 45 days could scar him for life. Does that make sense? If this story wasn’t picked up by the media, I’m pretty sure he’d be heading there right now. Sad.

6. I know about those back issues, i’m having a spot of trouble myself these days but I got a lumbar support for my desk chair and that seems to be helping. As to this post: I don’t think 6 year-olds should carry around any kind of knife. And while each case should be taken at it’s own merits I would have to agree that a zero tolerance policy is a must if they are going to keep the really harmful stuff out of the schools.

7. That guy’s a moron no matter how you look at it. If he knew it was going to blow up like that and sat that close to it, he’s a moron. Obviously, if he didn’t know it would do that, he’s a moron. Gold star for the moron.

As for the kid with the Army knife, suspension is enough. Reform school should be case by case.

8. I don’t know about this one….On the one hand, I don’t really believe in a hard and fast rule for most things, without considering individual circumstances. But, on the other hand, once you start making exceptions, so many exceptions can be made that it negates the rule (and the importance of the rule). Furthermore, how do you judge his intent? If someone gets caught with a weapon, wouldn’t anyone say their intentions were innocent. Additionally, what if his intent was to only use the knife for eating, but he got bullied that day and decided to use the knife to defent himeself. There have been 6 year olds who have brouhgt guns to school. So, I just don’t know about this one.

Would have been nice to see you take home the bacon one more time brother, no biggie though. You know your site is bad ass.

As for the Moron of the Week, priceless.

Road Kill Grill might be on to something, they have all of us talking about it 😉 I love the power of marketing, and can even find some respect to their approach on this.

I have to say honestly, the policies should be a case by case basis, however there does have to be some stability within the policies so that some of the previous events that we have had in school are not re-lived. The drug strip search just as a recent case, I can’t remember where that was, nor do I have the desire to Google it.

How about the child who got punished from bringing in two or three drops of vanilla extract and got penalties as if he had a 5th of vodka.

Lets be real in our punishment, and let it fit the crime based on history and intentions.

Congrats to WFNY an you, CC.

And that video was crazy. Ha.

We need to make an example out of the boyscout so that those little kids know we mean business! We’ll show them we’re not afraid of them! Who’s with me?