Don’t Try, Do – Guest Post

July 29, 2009 by admncc

Here at The Constant Complainer, in addition to my own posts, readers can submit Guest Posts on topics they’d like to complain about.  Christa Bledsoe from The Star Celeb submitted today’s Guest Post.  I love it – short, sweet and to the point.  I don’t know about you, but I think she is calling someone out!  Without further adieu, here’s Christa…

I can’t stand the phrase “I’ll try”, seriously, I know I’m an adult, but when someone says that it makes me want to roll my eyes.  You’re either going to do something or you’re not.  I’m more of a “don’t try, do” kind of person.  I’ve learned from experience that all this really entails is taking just a few seconds to go over what you have planned at the specific time your time is being requested and decide whether or not you can reasonably fit whatever it is being asked of you in.

I think the phrase “I’ll try” comes from people not wanting to hurt someone’s feelings by telling them they cannot do whatever it was they were asked to do when really its worse to tell someone you’ll try to do something and then not come through.  We’re all different so you may disagree and that is fine, but I would prefer for someone to just say “I’d love to help out, but I’m afraid my time is constrained I’m sorry” or something like that if that were in fact the case.

***Note from The Constant Complainer.  Click here to view Christa’s latest post on The Star Celeb.  It’s a great discussion surrounding how Kayne West said he was the new “King of Pop” now that Michael Jackson was deceased.  I hate Kayne West!

All Posts / Family/Lifestyle / General Moaning / Group Sharing / Guest Posts Kayne West / Lazy People / Michael Jackson / The Star Celeb /

Comments

There are about 20 people I work with who should see your post, Christa. Well put. And Kayne is an idiot.

2. Thank you Jane. I did write it down with someone in mind CC, but of course I can’t remember who now 🙂 That’s ok though as it applies to more than one person in my life.

3. Mike N says:

Christa,
    I’ll try to put up a comment about this later…

4. Mike N says:

But seriously, sometimes there’s nothing wrong with saying “I’ll try”. For example: A friend comes up to me and asks me if I can do some of the electrical wiring in the new garage he’s building so he won’t have to hire a professional. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and have experience doing the work, but I haven’t done the specific task at hand nor do I know the city’s electrical code. So… I tell my friend that I’d be happy to TRY and help him out, however he may eventually have to hire the professional electrician anyway. There’s no harm in TRYING to save him a buck first though!

There’s a lot of cases where “I’ll try” makes perfect sense. It’s not always a clear cut case of “Do, or do not”, regardless of what Yoda taught you.

We may have different ways we look at the phrase though. I look at it as “I’ll do my best”. Sometimes your best isn’t good enough, but at least you tried…

5. I think if someone asks you to do something that is in your realm of expertise and/or responsibility, then you should reply with an honest answer. If you already have too much on your plate, suggest that you can do it later, ask for help juggling some things around, or if you have to, say “no”. I think Mike’s situation is a little different. He said “yes” but there are extenuating circumstances that could mean he won’t be able to complete the task.

6. I’ll try and delete that from my vocabulary… HAHAHA! Great rant Christa! I agree all people that use this should be b*tch slapped.

If there were no “Trying,” there would be no “Doing!”

If I say I will do something, but fail to complete the task…did I lie? If a person “Tries,” but fails does that make him or her a failure? In my opinion, it is better to say, “I’ll try,” than to never attempt.

You don’t like when people give half hearted excuses.

As far as, “I’ve learned from experience that all this really entails is taking just a few seconds to go over what you have planned at the specific time your time is being requested and decide whether or not you can reasonably fit whatever it is being asked of you in.” I am not really sure what you are writing here, but I think you are saying that anything can be acomplished by just planning and deciding you want to do it. This is totally wrong… In Mike’s example, does he have all the required knowledge to wire a new garage? No, so a response of “I’ll try” is totally apropriate!

I’ll admit it; I say “I’ll try” when I could care less. Seriously. I think Mike has a point, but in the same breath, I’m happy to blow someone off with that line. My response, if I totally meant it, would be something like, “I am absolutely willing to do this and here’s what I’ll do.” Christa, I don’t know you, but perhaps you were somehow talking to me before you were inspired to write this blog. I have that kind of affect on people.

9. Just as a note, I understand your point Mike (and whoever else thinks the same) and I agree that sometimes “I’ll try” is a necessary answer. My rant was more towards those people who say it all the time, but never really plan on doing whatever they were asked.

“Try not…do, or do not…There is no try.”

I agree with you Christa (still can’t get used to that). I think Libby and Ziggy are twisting around what you were saying.

Zig “tries” to debate. Let’s leave it at that. Ha!

12. Tallelf says:

The elf is back,
    Zig, I believe that Sean Connery said it best in The Rock. Losers do their best….that is the same thing as trying I would suppose.

I’ll Try is the easy cop out to “If I get around to it”. If you actually are “trying” aren’t you doing your best to the certain task?

“I’ll try” is comparable to “Maybe” You really mean no, but all they hear is yes.

13. Mike N says:

I’m not twisting anything around here Mooch. If you want to hate on people who say “I’ll try”, then you have to accept that sometimes you’re going to catch some people with good intentions in that net. I know what Christa was trying to say, but there’s nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious flaw in her rant.

The perfect example is you “Trying” to be a good father, but your obviously not very successful at it. I mean, what kind of father takes one kid to Cedar Point, but tells the other kid they’ll have to wait till next year??? Man you’re cheap! Not everyone can be a good father, but a lot of men “Try”.

14. Kind of like when I say to my kids, “We’ll see…” ? Yeah, same thing 🙂

15. Well said tallelf 🙂

I have to agree Christa that statement is crap and always has been crap, the KOW guys can use it because they are 29 and still in middle school… I mean wait, college high school…. college?

Excellent guest post Crista it’s nice to see you getting around 😉

I nominate NCD for the worst father, maybe ever! He doesn’t even “TRY” to hide the fact that he is a bad father. He illustrates the fact, with stories and examples, for everyone to see and decide! It’s called a computer connected to the WORLD WIDE WEB for a reason, NCD. Let’s see how many people agree with me… OK OK, I nominate NCD for the biggest moron of the weak for his lack of knowledge about the WORLD WIDE WEB, internet, which has been a mainstay in many homes since the early 90s!