The Big Easy

July 7, 2009 by admncc

As I mentioned last week, I was out of town for a conference.  I spent five days in New Orleans.  As a result, I am totally back-logged on posts, Guest Posts and visiting other blogs.  I’m working hard to get caught up on everything, so bear with me.

In the meantime, I don’t know how many of you have actually visited New Orleans, but it is a strange city.  First off, it smells pretty much wherever you go.  Bourbon Street is the worst with a combination urine/vomit/stale beer smell.  Second, it is ridiculously hot.  Third, the tourist behavior, particularly on Bourbon Street, was a little much for my taste.  I had fun with my colleagues, but some of other tourists’ behaviors we witnessed were eye-opening.

Anyway, after making those observations, I was inspired to start making videos and posting them here.  This first one is 48 seconds long and was taken on Bourbon Street.  I have a few more that I’ll get to, including one of me on a balcony caught in the middle of nearly 100 people throwing beads.

This video is interesting because I quote a lady walking by and also address social behaviors, which you may want to comment on.

Interestingly, every single resident said that they fully expect another Hurricane Katrina – and that’s it just a matter of time.  They don’t feel safe.  Wow.  I don’t think I’d want to live there under those circumstances either…

Bourbon Street Video

All Posts / Entertainment / Family/Lifestyle / General Moaning Bourbon Street / Hurricane Katrina / Louisiana / New Orleans / The Big Easy /

Comments

1. The armpit of America – ouch 🙁

CC, first, great MJ discussion in Leo’s recent guest post. You should let him post more often. Second, welcome to the video world. I laughed at the armpit comment. Show us some more Bourbon Street videos.

3. Bourbon Street can be an eye-opener. It’s kind of like Vegas.

Hopefully, if another hurricane like Katrina comes through, the dam won’t break although I’m not sure folks are comfortable that adequate repairs were made.

The Big Easy is a liberal cesspool that was destroyed by progressivism, predictable bad weather, and more progressivism. Add the political corruption and you have the tri-fecta of liberal cruelty. If there ever were a perfect example of how not to govern yourself, New Orleans is it. Cleveland comes in at a very close second.

Give me a break, Don. I think there’s more to it than your silly politics.

6. Timmy says:

If N’awlins is the armpit what does that make Detroit? Hmmm

Detroit is a progressive failure just like New Orleans and Cleveland. Those 3 cities take turns being the poorest in the nation.

Don, where is a successful, “conservative” city? Corruption is rampant and across the board. You can blame liberalism all you want but there is almost no conservative thought left, so I don’t know who you’re blaming. The biggest, richest cities are liberal cesspools, too.

California is caving in on itself as we speak. Do you think that is enough to make anyone stop and think that maybe it wasn’t a good idea to give out free lunches to everyone or to design public pensions around real estate appreciation of 10% or more per year? I haven’t seen any indication of it, even as the state robs its citizens blind.

Tristan,
    these large failing cities are run by progressives that are giving out the “free” services, increasing taxes, and preventing businesses from growing. They’re engaging in class warfare, just the same a King Barry is. So the wealthy people leave. Then, when they get over their heads in debt, they turn to the federal gov’t. Next thing you know, you have a liberal/progressive federal gov’t running a liberal/progressive city..it’s getting ready to happen at the state level. California is a perfect example of excessive progressive failure that will soon be run by the federal gov’t.

There are a lot of wealthy conservative cities that are attracting businesses and jobs. I’m not talking about L.A., NY, or Chicago..they are progressive failures as well.

In the Cleveland area, Cuyahoga Heights and Solon are manufacturing mecca’s….Westlake is building itself up as a service based city. There are plenty of others…Raleigh, Charlotte, Virgina Beach, Ankorage, and most of the large and small cities in Texas.

The poorest cities in this country are poor because of progressivism.

Who cares about Cleveland or the liberals. NeoConDon is doing what he does best. Which is spew political nonsense. Sorry, but true. Tristan your comment was interesting. Wasn’t CA bankrupt and giving IOU’s for tax returns at some point?

I think you meant to say “political truths” Dan…

12. Lacey says:

I’m from New Orleans. Still here, just outside of the city! Bourbon street is definitely what it is. It’s not meant to be charming so much. Other parts of the French Quarter, Magazine & St. Charles are perfectly charming & family friendly. Bourbon is def. not kid friendly! It’s not at all unusual to see strippers flauting themselves outside of strip club doors, transvestites showing their fake boobs, people dragging their overly drunken friends down the street and plenty of other risque/trashy things! There are a few gems among the trashy sex acts and strip clubs though! What bugs me just as much as the trashy places bringing in the trashy people, is the holy rollers who march down Bourbon St. with their big “You’re a disgrace to God” signs and such. Uhmmm, hypocritical much?

Oh & if it was a man walking alone that you heard that “armpit of America” thing from… I’ve seen that same guy twice now! & He was just walking around talking loudly to himself about how “Tourism is the devil and New Orleans is the armpit of America”! Poor guy, he wasn’t all there!

This turned out being way longer than I expected! Ha, sorry!

Nice blog!

13. CC, I hope you got outside the tourist areas and looked around. There are some lovely neighborhoods in New Orleans.

14. Does NeoConDon work for Fox News? I guess, they really are everywhere! He reminds me of the segment on The Factor where O’Reilly attacks what he considers liberal cities, such as Denver and San Fransisco.

To Constant Complainer:
    Hey…only I can criticize my hometown. It does need a lot of work, though

Ah, Texas…they will be missed when they leave.

My point exactly, Don. California is a blatantly-obvious failure of “progressive” policies, but whenever someone fails we see them as a victim. CA is just a victim of evil free market capitalism, they did nothing to deserve this. Utter nonsense, but people don’t see much past what they see on TV. How many “green shoots” does a bear market (panda?) have to eat before we stop hearing those lies?

Dan, CA is bankrupt and is issuing “IOUs” to its taxpayers. Whoever thought it was a good idea to withhold more and get a bigger refund now realizes the financial stupidity of that move. Nothing like giving the gov a 0% loan for an indefinite period of time.

Cosmo chic…

I would never work for a libel cesspool like Fox News…

Tristan,

When Texas leaves, I won’t be missing them…I’ll be joining them…

As I’ve already told a Texan friend of mine, “See you at the secession party.”

@CosmopolitanChic hahahaha, your first sentence almost flipped me out of my chair.

Glad you got to get away, even if it was to a place that some people might consider the “armpit of America”. It is what it is, every city and especially big cities have trash bag dirt ball areas.

This reminds me of a business trip I took to Atlantic City about 10 years ago, it was my first time to Atlantic City and I pictured every casino city to look like Vegas. And they do, the casinos themselves are unreal, the surroundings are crap.

20. Well, you know what I think of Bourbon Street, but like I also said, if you get out of this mess you will find some of the best restaurants in the country, some really great music, and art and antiques to die for. I think we’re all too old (too sober?) to appreciate what Bourbon St. has to offer 🙂 It’s just one big frat party!