Get a Life

February 19, 2009 by admncc

Welcome to The Constant Complainer.

I’d like to take a brief minute to chastise young Alex Rodriguez for the way he handled last week’s steroid scandal.  The more I hear about it, the more it ticks me off.

First, clearly he was in an awkward situation.  Results for the steroid tests from 2003 were supposed to remain confidential.  However, in this day and age, I’m not surprised they were leaked.  Frankly, I’m glad they were.  I don’t know about you, but I would like to know if the MVP that year tested positive for an illegal substance.  And aside from being the MVP that year, I’d like to know it if the baseball player they think will break Bonds’ home run record tested positive for steroids.

OK, his test result aside, my bigger complaint is the juvenile way he apologized.  He reads a prepared statement and says, among other things, that baseball is bigger than Alex Rodriguez.  Please!

Have you ever heard the term “mi culpa” used anywhere?  An old boss of mine said that is always the best way to seek forgiveness.  Just say you’re sorry with no strings attached, accept full responsibility, eat crow or whatever else is needed.  And you know what – it works!

But ARod made some fundamental errors.  He waited too long to make a statement in the first place.  Then he read his legally prepared statement and tried to avoid any major media catastrophes.  Not to mention the fact that he previously lied to Katie Couric when he denied ever using steroids.

Finally, and this is my biggest point: When you look at an athlete, what do you see?  I see a lot of things, but one thing in particular that I see is a machine.  These guys are workhorses, they are methodical in their routines, they are superstitious and they absolutely know what is going on with their bodies.  So when ARod said he wasn’t sure what he was taking or what was being injected into his body – I say, that is a lie.  You mean to tell me that a professional athlete is going to let someone inject a substance into his body and he doesn’t know what it is.  I absolutely refuse to believe that.

As far as I’m concerned, ARod’s name should have an asterisk next to it, in any record books, just like Bonds’ and Sosa’s should…

All Posts / Business / Celebrities / Entertainment / Sports Alex Rodriguez / ARod / Athletes / Baseball / MLB / Steroids /

Comments

I love baseball and am saddened by his behavior. I don’t believe his apology was genuine.

It’s time for MLB to release all of the names of the 100 some players that tested positive and clear it all up. Until then, fans will always wonder who was/is taking these illegal drugs.

3. Sports Maniac says:

There is so much that can be said about A-Roid and this event. My question I want answered: is it really worth talking about? Baseball players have become a joke as to who is juicing and who is not. A guy suddenly gets bigger over the off-season, is it really because of him working out? There are probably several players on every team that have used steroids at one time or another, except for maybe the Pittsburgh Pirates, they been steroid free since 1992, which could explain the 16 years of losing.

As for A-Roid, here is a guy that children were idolizing, and now he revealed to be, can I say a fraud? Whether or not the test results were to be kept secret, he had to have known what he was doing, like the CC said. Athletes do know what they are putting in to their bodies, if they don’t then they don’t care about the sport they play. His apology, if you want to call it that, makes me feel that since he has got his big money contract and got his big pay day, so what if he did something illegal, he got the money. Sure you can put the “*” next to his name, but it is not going to take away the millions he has. Using steroids got him what he wanted, which was a lot of money.

I agree with you NCD, since I was a paying fan for baseball games back then, I want to know what players were juicing. True fans will want to know which players tainted the game they enjoyed, and would want to know if a team won a championship because they had a player or players that were giving them an unfair advantage over another clean team.

If you are going to put the asterisk next to his name, add it to a few other players, and I hate to say it, add it to a few championship football teams, even if steroids were not illegal back then. You get one player taking steroids for an advantage; then you have given the whole team an unfair advantage over a team that may not have been using them. Now if ever team had players doing steroids, then you just lost all credibility to your league and players that fans looked up to.

4. Zane says:

I think it is pretty amusing that nobody ever talks about steroids in professional basketball. Hello!

Zane, I agree with you about basketball. You always hear about steroids in professional baseball and football, but never in basketball. I’m not even sure if they test to be honest with you. But if they don’t; they should. Baseball pisses me off. I’m sick of getting drawn into it and being excited, only to be discouraged by guys like Rodriguez, Bonds or Clemens breaking the rules. Good post CC.

A-Roid? Come on, guys… Who cares? Like The CC said, he is going to break Bonds’ HR record. Who among us didn’t beleive he was on the juice?

But wait, he is going through some tough times lately…divorcing his wife, dating Madonna, Joe Torre’s book basically calls him an undeserving primadona and etc. etc. etc. Who cares?

Show me a guy who is making millions of dollars to do hid JOB, PLAY a GAME…and I show you a prime candidate for performace inhancing drugs to keep his JOB. Who cares?

Does the fact that he used steroids lessen his accomplishments on the ball field? I think not! Did it help with the eye hand coordination needed to hit Bee-Bees thrown at him from 90 feet away? I think not! Did they help him pull his balls out of his throat when a bullet is hit at him while he is sitting at he HOT corner, third base? I think not! All you guys need to realize that you would do the same thing as these ROIDERS if put in the same situation! Again, who cares? Move on. Enjoy baseball for what it is, athletic theater..like the WWE!

All professional sports are theater! We, as fans, pay to watch grown men play a GAME! Anyone who idolizes these men for playing a sport, needs to get a life! Any man who allows their kids to idolize the men is being tought a lesson. Who wouldn’t seek evey advantage they can find to keep this lifestyle? They play a game! WHO CARES?

You’re kind of right Zig, but there’s no excuse for cheating. I would never cheat, and I tell my sons not to cheat. I remind them that they won’t always get a trophy or a ribbon….I let them know that they’re going to lose and fail. That’s life. But cheating will always lead to failure eventually. But you’re right…considering the rest of what’s happening in our country, this isn’t that big of a deal.

8. Angela says:

This is sad. Really. I grew up around baseball, and my youngest absolutely loves it, so this pisses me off. I hate to see something that has been an integral part of my life for so long being tainted. Yes, I know the economy, job markets, housing markets, life sucks, but this is a simple escape for many people. Just a way, for a little while, to get our minds off the problems around us. So to see what is happening…well…I can’t quite put into words how angry this makes me.

Angela–Why do you encourage escapism, through Baseball, and worry about what these morons do? If it were really an “escape” for you, it shouldn’t matter who is using what… Baseball is still an excape, because it is a GAME! It is only entertainment. Athletes are entertainers! Baseball is still baseball. How does the fact that some idiot used “the juice” effect your view of baseball? Who cares? Move on! If it’s such an “integral” part of your life, why are you letting it “ruin” your life? We all grew up around baseball, but most of us know it as a game we once enjoyed, before we grew up.

It appears, to me, that you need to find more control of your life… You mention, “the economy, job markets, housing markets, life sucks, but this is a simple escape for many people.” I think you need to get a little more control over your own life. And then you can worry about what some millionaire athlete does with his own body!

You say your youngest child really loves baseball. Are you now going to prevent him from watching or playing baseball, because some “professional” baseball player used steroids? Who cares? You have an opportunity, with this, to teach your son why cheating is wrong and you can now show him that “Cheaters never proper!” If this is how you react when you learn about drug use in Baseball, it seems to me that you have other more pressing problems than just steroids in Baseball! Are you sure you wouldn’t be better served with some Protac? This site is called theconstantcomplainer.com. But, when you bring a complaint, you better be able to defend your complaint and no rambling allowed!

10. Otis says:

I just want to make sure I got this right Zig. You think it’s okay for the federal government to force banks to make loans to people that can’t afford them, but it’s not okay for someone use the game of baseball as an exit strategy from the political unrest in our country? And then to feel sad when she finds out the players were cheating?

Don’t worry Angela, you’re not crazy. Zig is.

11. William Gatherer says:

I must say that I was let down with any athlete who uses enhancing drugs in their career. But on the other side.. what about Michael Phelps and his performance enhancing drugs… .

How else would he be able to ingest that many calories without some assistance?

12. Zane says:

Phelps needs to be dropped by all sponsors. PERIOD.

You know on two different occasions I started writing about this exact thing and both times I closed it out. Thank you for writing this, it relieved some of my annoyance in regards to this situation.

Otis, my point is WHO CARES??? I don’t think it’s okay for the Federal Government to force banks to do anything. The post was about steroids in BASEBALL! What “political unrest?” We live in a Democracy…Our heathy transfer of power is the envy of the world, idiot! I think the UNREST in which we find ourselves would be catagorized as FINANCIAL!

Otis, YOU can go ahead and feel sad when you find out that players are cheating. I will continue to enjoy the GAME for what it is, A GAME! Who cares? Next batter!

15. TCC, great blog you got here. Thanks for the note, I look forward to reading more of your stuff.