The War on Christmas – Guest Post
December 8, 2008 by The Constant Complainer
Welcome to The Constant Complainer – voted “Best Local Blog” in a “Best of Cleveland 2008” readers’ poll.
Here at The Constant Complainer, in addition to my posts, readers can submit Guest Posts on topics they would like to complain about. Neo Con Don submitted the below-Guest Post. His complaint is people trying to be politically correct when it comes to freedom of religion. It’s an interesting perspective that I’m sure will attract your feedback. So without further adieu, here’s Don.
I AM SICK AND TIRED of the stupid liberal political correctness that is taking place across America. (For the idiots out there, America is synonymous with the United States regardless of what your stupid social studies teacher told you.) It extends from hate filled freaks in California breaking into peaceful religious celebrations (called church) to the ignorant and apologetic people that are trying so hard not to offend someone that probably wouldn’t get offended anyway. Here’s where I stand…if you don’t like religion… too bad.
1. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and has died for my sins.
2. I do not believe that Muhammad was a prophet, but if you do, that’s cool.
3. If you’re Jewish, I think you are half-right and you think I’m half-wrong. I can live with that.
4. I also don’t care what religion you celebrate…just as long as you don’t kill me on behalf of your god, or try to convert me…I can’t be converted.
1. I am not offended by any of the other religions.
2. I am not offended by a Menorah.
3. I am not offended when I see a Muslim praying or wearing their headdress. Our Constitution guarantees those freedoms and their religion requires it.
The reason I live in America is because I have the freedom to practice my religion and they have the freedom to practice theirs. We need to recognize our differences and celebrate our similarities; our desire to practice our religion freely. But something is getting very strange. The liberals who call themselves tolerant are anything but tolerant. In their quest to not offend anyone, or support a specific religion, they are violating our first amendment rights by establishing a national religion: Atheism.
Here’s a list of examples and how it is directed specifically at Christianity:
1. Christmas Break is now Winter Break.
2. Easter Break is now Spring Break.
3. Instead of Silent Night, Holy Night, they sing Silent Night, Winter Night.
4. Christmas Trees have become Holiday Trees.
5. Public squares are void of any recognition of the holidays they are celebrating.
6. BC (Before Christ) has become BCE (Before Common Era)
7. AD (in the year of our Lord) has become CE (Common Era.)
8. 10 Commandments are being removed from courthouses and justice centers across our country.
9. The new Capital Visitor Center in Washington DC is void of our nation’s religious history.
In social studies classes, our public schools teach a lie called “the separation of church and state.” *News Flash* The Separation of Church and State does not exist. Our Founders made that very clear. Our Constitution also makes that clear: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;” It can not be any clearer. Refusing or requiring any display of any religion in any public or private place is unconstitutional. Public space belongs to WE THE PEOPLE, and if we choose to celebrate Christmas, Chanukah, or Ramadan, we may do it. The only people getting any satisfaction are the Atheists because they’re the only ones that are given the opportunity by the gov’t to celebrate their religion. Real religion celebrates Peace on Earth and Good Will toward all of mankind. In Washington State, an atheist group that spreads the message “freedom from religion” has been granted a display area next to a Nativity Scene in the State Capital. It reads:
“At this season of the Winter Solstice may reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.”
The approval of this hate filled placard is legally problematic. First, it violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. This is the gov’t establishing Atheism as a religion. Second, while the Menorah and the Nativity are symbols of the religions they represent, the placard placed by the “Freedom from Religion” group attacks the other religions that are represented. The Menorah and the Nativity are not offensive symbols, the Atheist plaque is offensive. Perhaps the atheists should develop some symbols of their own. Otherwise, I suggest the Christians simply make a plaque of the written Nativity Story out of the Gospel According to Luke. At least each group would be on similar ground.
The right to practice our religion is the first fundamental right we have as Americans. It was established before any other right. It is the reason for the establishment of our Nation, and the only right that will guarantee our nation’s future existence. It has nothing to do with the specific religion we practice. It’s okay to be an atheist. Just don’t force it on us, and respect what the Constitution really stands for. Unless the people of America’s religions ban together to fight the anti-religious zealots, we will find our country over run by a bunch of hate filled liberals embedding fascism in every aspect of our lives.