School Bus Setback – Guest Post

November 25, 2008 by The Constant Complainer

Welcome to The Constant Complainer – voted “Best Local Blog” in a “Best of Cleveland 2008” readers’ poll.  Here at The Constant Complainer, in addition to my own posts, I offer the opportunity for readers to submit Guest Posts on topics they would like to complain about.  Guest Posts can be submitted on any topic and must be entertaining.  Without further adieu, here’s a Guest Post submitted by Sugar…

I have always respected the rules involving school buses.  No matter how late I am running or how frustrating it is to follow one, I always have made sure that I am the correct distance behind them.  I always stop when they pick up children.  It’s the law.  Others who are braver tend to go around the bus.  Even though I would like to, I’m not that brave.

However, I do have a problem when I am stopped and am waiting for the child or children to come out of their home, and I see them walking at that slow, dawdling pace, and then finally venture onto the bus.  Not to mention waiting for them to sit down before the driver will stop flashing the STOP sign.  I timed this the other day.  From the moment my car stopped until the bus closed the STOP sign and started moving was 5 minutes and 23 seconds.  That is utterly ridiculous!  The driver stopped and waited.  The child’s front door opened and a boy came out.  Half way to the bus, he turned around and walked back into his house.  Then he came back out with his lunch bag.  Walking toward the bus, another child came out of the house without her coat.  Her mother (I’m assuming) called her back into the house, etc.   There is no reason why myself and 10 other drivers had to wait that long. The bus was not a handicapped bus.  It was a regular school bus.  This is an everyday occurrence; particularly with this route.  The more frustrating thing is that unfortunately, it is not just this specific bus, but I have also noticed it with other school buses in other districts.

Since when do bus drivers wait for kids to come out?  When I was picked up by a bus (13 years ago), if you were not physically waiting at that spot, the driver would keep on going.  It was up to me then to either hike down to another street and be picked up at another stop, or the other alternative was to walk to school.  The driver had a schedule to follow.  If we weren’t standing out there, she assumed we weren’t going to be at school that day.

Are parents today not teaching their kids to be responsible?  I know it’s just a school bus, but these are the little things that can shape a child/teenager’s sense of accountability.  If they are constantly dragging, tardy or making other people late, then how will they act when they reach that point in their lives when they are on their own?  Why is the driver waiting for these kids?  I guarantee that if the kids miss the bus once and either have to walk to school or have their parents drive them; they’ll never miss the bus again.

I’m not sure why this is such a sore subject with me when I know that absolutely nothing will be done about it.

All Posts / Family/Lifestyle / General Moaning / Group Sharing / Guest Posts / Schools Children's Safety / School / School Bus / School Buses /

Comments

1. Otis says:

I think everyone understands your frustration, but it is something we have to deal with. I try to find alternative routes, but it isn’t always that easy. You could vote “NO” on school tax levies…they always threaten to cut busing if a levy fails.

2. Mom M. says:

Sugar, so what you’re saying is that you would rather rush somewhere and risk injuring a kid instead of waiting for five minutes? How often are you honestly waiting? These examples can’t be happening every day.

I think this post is right on. I mean, I can’t help but agree. Sugar, it sounds like you obey the traffic laws. That’s the key obviously. But after that, sure, it’s OK to get mad about the way the bussing is handled.

There have been a number of times where this exact same thing has happened to me. I see the bus stop, but there are no kids there. So the bus driver waits to see if they come out of their house. Now, I never remember buses stopping at every single child’s house anyway, but that seems to be more predominant. Either that or I just don’t see the group bus stops in my neighborhood. It seems that most children I know either get a ride to school or walk. But regardless, I agree that a child (either with or w/o their parent) needs to be out at the bus stop and ready to go. If the weather was horrible, I might be able to understand them waiting inside. That doesn’t mean I have to like it though.

I must admit, it does tick me off when I’m waiting there stopped, don’t see a kid anywhere and the kid comes out of their house, walks over to the bus, only to walk back to the house because they forgot something. If I were ever going to get angry at a school bus, that will do it!

Mom M.-

I never said I would rush and risk injuring a kid. Maybe if you read the intro to my guest post:” I have always respected the rules involving school buses. No matter how late I am running or how frustrating it is to follow one, I always have made sure that I am the correct distance behind them. I always stop when they pick up children. It’s the law. Others who are braver tend to go around the bus. Even though I would like to, I’m not that brave.”

My complaint is why are the drivers waiting for children to exit out of their homes to pick them up? If you are not outside waiting to be picked up, then they should just keep going. It’s as simple as that. I don’t see the RTA buses waiting for someone that forgot their briefcase. Why? They have a schedule to keep, that’s why.

Sugar is right on this. My kids get picked up at my driveway which is about 50 yards from their original posted stop. Since they were the only kids scheduled there, the bus driver was kind enough to say that she’d pick them up at the end of the drive so they don’t have to cross the street…they’re in kindergarten and first grade. She also didn’t want me to have to drag an infant and a 3 year old out so early. The other half of the deal is that they must be out there at 6:55am. The bus is always there just after 6:56. She said that if she’s early, she’ll wait, but if it’s 6:55 or after, she’ll keep going. I thought is was a very good deal and my kids have never missed the bus. I can stand out there with them when it’s still dark, or watch them through my living room window during the spring and fall.

BUT….if you find yourself waiting behind a bus everyday for over 5 minutes, I would kindly suggest you leave a few minutes earlier, or find a different route if that’s possible. The first rule of dealing with children is being flexible.

Happy Thankgiving to all. Don’t forget that Thanksgiving is observed to give thanks to God for all of our Blessings.

6. Jam says:

I’m glad this site endorses maniac drivers.

Actually I do leave a little earlier to avoid this particular bus. It’s not all the time, but it is still an inconvenience when I do come across it. Granted, it is not that long of a wait everytime, but it’s becoming more and more of a setback.

Welcome to the forum Jam and Mom M. Jam, I try to be neutral regarding comments, but I think you missed the whole point of her post. LOL.

If you consider maniac drivers people that follow the law like it says I do in the post above, then yes, I guess the CC does. Thanks, I’ve never been called one before.

10. Zane says:

Make those kids wait outside. Rain or shine. Agreed.